Fashion. It’s always been an essential building block of the musical lifestyle, as far as we’re concerned: from Stevie Nicks’ swirling scarves to Mick Jagger’s Shakespearian shirt on stage in London, it’s all a part of a mystique, a visual presentation as intrinsic to the art as the notes themselves. And besides – few things are more rock & roll than denim and leather. Which is why we’re thrilled that Madewell, one of our favorite brands, has opened up at the Green Hills Mall. It’s something worth crossing the river for (we do that…on occasion).
We’re planning some exciting things with Madewell in the coming weeks, including a very special music-meets-fashion shoot starring one of our most inspirational sonic muses. (Hint: she’s not your kuzin).
To herald last night’s opening, team L/S and some of our favorite local female musicians picked some must-have items from Madewell for fall – a little shopping guide, so to speak. Want to hear more from them? Check out our Lockeland Springsteen x Madewell mix here.
And don’t worry boys – we’ll have something for you next….
Team L/S :::
- Marissa /// L/S co-editor ::: I have a problem wherein sometimes, late at night, I purchase leather items in a semi-conscious state. This vest was a welcome victim of my affliction – rationalized by the fact that I bought it to celebrate a big milestone. I will be wearing it nonstop through fall and winter, savings account be damned.
- Emily // L/S co-editor ::: A white boy shirt like this is essential for an autumn wardrobe, and can be easily dressed up with chunky jewelry. Classic and conforms to any seasonal trend!
- Katie A. /// L/S contributing writer ::: With my go-to always being anything black, the Skinny Zip Racetrack Jeans are a perfect way to add flare to my favorite color and outfit. The detail at the knee gives the pants a bit of edge and makes them a perfect match with many of the staple pieces from Madewell.
- Kimberly B. /// L/S contributing writer ::: A classic, basic black boot with a little bit of a heel has the perfect combination of edgy and pretty. I could wear these everyday for years!
- Shanning N. /// L/S social media guru and photographer ::: I love the sweatshirt dress because it looks super soft and lounge worthy, and it transitions well from day to night. The perfect piece for fall.
- Emilee Warner /// Warnerblaster (and occasional event guru to L/S) ::: I’ve been eyeing the transport tote for awhile now, and figured I’d save the purchase to celebrate Madewell opening in Nashville. When I lived in New York, it was undoubtedly my favorite store. The transport tote in dark cabernet is exactly what I need to hold everything while on the go.
Musicians we love :::
- Abbey from Twiggs ::: I love the daintiness of a silk blouse. Lavender, chic neckline.. Precious as a peach.
- Leslie from Humming House /// This jacket – I love the worn look, sharp lines, simple cut and the fact that it is 100% weatherproof and biker badass. Not that I ride a bike; the look is thrill enough for me.
- Alanna from Alanna Royale ::: i LOVE this necklace! Perfect for wearing to celebrate the release of our new LP, Achilles.
- Stacey Randol /// I love the stand-up collar, zipped sleeves, and relaxed fit of this coat. Wool looks so sharp in this two-toned shade. I also am a sucker for anything marsh.
- Kim Logan /// I chose the Ames boot – leopard print is one of my fashion staples, recalling the glamour of the jungle themes that became popularized on pinups in the ’50s and ’60s. I love that this is a “Beatle boot” made for women – that particular style is rarely available to ladies.
- Erin from The Breedings /// When the weather gets cooler, I gravitate towards cozy. The leather trim on this sweatshirt means my coffee run just got a little more refined.
- Jesse Lafser /// I never leave the house without a good pair of boots, and these are classic. Pair them with denim and a trusted hat and I’m set for the stage.
- Mercy Bell /// This gorgeous plaid shirt is a perfect way to feel vibrant, rootsy, and strong. (Plus, Penfield is from Massachusetts, just like me!)
- Kristyn of *repeat repeat /// The ‘indio shades‘ in pale fig are a fabulous throwback to the sixties with their pale pink color and shape. I absolutely love these sunglasses! Marilyn-approved.
* images courtesy of madewell.com