– Jessie Baylin has released a B-side from her album Little Spark, a hazy, dreamy, twangy-beautiful tune called “Thorns.” It’s a nice gift to hold us over while Baylin works on another project with her husband Nathan. “In case you didn’t notice, these thorns come with roses,” she sings in a voice that blossoms open and pricks you when you least expect it – and it’s a good hurt. You can grab it on Amazon or iTunes.
– The boys at Joy of Painting also have a new song out, “Charades,” which you can listen to here and download for free on their bandcamp, off their upcoming EP, Lighten Up, out 9.25. “Though it’s a very short offering, we’re really proud of this release. The guitars are bigger, the hooks are hookier and we think people will have fun listening to it, which is all we wanted when we started this band,” says the band of what to expect. You can catch them live on Friday at The End.
– NPR has a pretty amazing slideshow of 70’s country music photos.
– Carrie Underwood thinks American Idol should have a country judge.
– American Songwriter‘s September free download compilation includes tunes from Turbo Fruits, Natural Child and Rayland Baxter.