* Chick Corea at The Schermerhorn with Bela Fleck ::: I don’t miss too much about New York City on a daily basis, but I do miss seeing jazz regularly (rather, I miss seeing jazz in New York circa the year 2000, before the Tonic closed down and more musicians could actually afford to tour). Some of the best shows I’ve ever seen were sweaty nights at the Tonic or Village Vanguard – Ken Vandermark, Sex Mob, Vijay Iyer, Jason Moran. I’ve actually never been a huge fan of Chick Corea to be brutally honest: I always liked my jazz a little more unbridled, a little more reckless. But in Nashville, I suppose you take what you can get – and there’s no doubt he’s a talented master. He’s playing tonight with banjo lord Bela Fleck. (sorry, couldn’t resist the headshot photo)
* Western Horizon featuring Spindrift, Gram Rabbit, Ttotals and The Inscape at Springwater ::: a whole set of trippy, Gram Parsons-in-the-desert tunes live from your favorite lovable shithole. I’d go for the Ttotals alone – their sound conjures up a new-age Jim Morrison if he lived through grunge, triphop and shoegaze and came out swinging. Listen here.
* Applegate Nance, Junktrain and Red Hot Mess at Foobar. 9.p.m.
* Shut Up AJ’s songwriter night at Mad Donnas. 6 p.m.
* Alanna Royale w/Milktooth, Heavy Sole & Photo Ops at Mercy Lounge ::: We dig the gritty soul of Alanna Royale, but we’re also big fans of the dirtier rock of Heavy Sole, a minimalist duo who slashes and thrashes. The boys, pictured at left.
* Hey Marseilles w/Young Buffalo at The High Watt ::: Big band baroqueness with a pop sensibility.Emily will be there to report back on the action. Hey Marseilles is also playing an in-store at Grimey’s at 4 p.m. on Saturday.
* The Young International w/Andrew Osenga, Amy Stroup & The Consoulers at 3rd & Lindsley ::: Emily’s take on TYI: “the tunes are catchy and bolstered by an instrumental sophistication; combine this with a magnetic charisma, and you can’t help but fall a little bit in love with them (even if they do make you think twice about that PBR you’re holding).”
* Warm Soda with Ben Spinks Supermelt and Study Hall at the Stone Fox. Fresh California garage with all the sunlight you’d expect from an Oakland trio. 9 p.m.
* Andrew Leahey & The Homestead play The Basement with The Shams Band and The Electric Hearts. 8pm, $5
* The rad solo project of Allie Hanlon (also an Infinity Cat artist) Peach Kelli Pop hits the Stone Fox w/ Fox Fun & Dirty Dreams.
* Neoteric Nashville presents Grass Root Kids, Ravenhill, The Constables, and The Mailboxes at The Rutledge. Doors @ 6, music @ 7. $7