So it’s Friday, and this roundup is covers-themed. This is probably inaccurate: not everything worth seeing this weekend has to do with covers, in the least, but more than one thing does. In journalism, it takes three to make a trend. But in the blog world, anything goes. Voilà – a covers trend!
- The first item at hand is Coverfest at Mad Donnas. Tonight, tomorrow and the 21st will find many of East Nashville’s musical luminaries covering the greats from the Boss to Leonard Cohen to Tom Waits. The full schedule is after the jump at the bottom, but it goes into the wee hours, making it a perfect stop for when you’ve left the Turbo Fruits show….
- ….Right. Turbo Fruits. No cover link here, just a celebratory show for the release of their excellent new LP, Butter. Tickets are still available, but grab ‘em fast. (P.S., if you happen by a newstand and spot the new edition of FILTER magazine, you can check out my review of the record in there). It’s a roaring, rocking fit that’s fun, frantic, and fine-tuned.
- Now, back to covers. Over at Dino‘s, you’ll find Rayland Baxter along with pals like Shannon Stephens (sister of Sufjan) playing Grateful Dead songs, also into the wee hours. Scarlett Begonias!
- Also tonight: Sofar, the British series of house concerts that is slowly taking America by storm (or living room, at least), is having it’s first Nashville gig. The music and house is secret, and you can try to get on the list by emailing nashvillesofar (at) gmail.com.
- fEASTival, one of many quirky little East Nashville festivals, has put together a pretty fun lineup including The Lonely H, Buffalo Clover and Dirt Heavy among others. Full lineup here, fun starts at noon at the East Park.
- Hustle over to Grimey’s at 5 p.m. to catch Hacienda play an in-store, and likely grab free beer. In a SXSW guide for LA Magazine, I said “their fully southern, surf-infused style melds retro-pop sensibilities with a penchant for garage fuzz (honed on their upcoming LP by none other than southern garage master Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys). Don’t let that pairing fool you—Hacienda’s infectious tunes trade rough guitars for catchy, smartly-formed grooves with just enough Texan grit.”
- End the night with Kevin Black doing an 11:45 pm set of Townes Van Zandt covers back over at Mad Donnas, and then drown your sorrows in cheap whiskey. I’ll be in the corner, nursing my own. Rocks, please.
- Oh! And wait! The Midnight Riders, an Allman Brothers Revue is at 3rd & Lindsley! So why I probably wouldn’t put that on anyone’s agenda for the weekend, that makes three cover-themed events. And that’s a trend, according to official rules of journalism. Phew.
Full Coverfest lineup fort his weekend :::
9:15 JEFF MILLER..STEVIE WONDER
10:00 JACOB JONES..BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN
10:45 KIM LOGAN..BONNIE RAITT
11:30 JUSTIN COLLINS..LEONARD COHEN
12:15 SAM LEWIS w/ KENNY VAUGHAN..suprise set!!
1:15 BLACKFOOT GYPSIES..THE RAMONES
8:45 ADAM DALTON..NEIL YOUNG
9:30 SAM WEST..TOM WAITS
10:15 ALEX CARESS..GILLIAN WELCH
11:00 AMANDA CONTRERAS ..EMMYLOU HARRIS
11:45 KEVIN BLACK..TOWNES VAN ZANDT
12:00 SHANE TUTMARC..JOHN LENNON
12:45 DAVE ARMSTRONG..ELLIOT SMITH